[srslte-users] "Digital scaling" in srsUE

Mathias Rønholt Kielgast mkielg11 at student.aau.dk
Fri May 5 09:26:39 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am trying to artificially add additional noise in srsUE to decrease the SNR.
I have difficulties however, as I struggle to find the "correlation" between the "digital power" (i.e. the values of the complex floats in the baseband samples handled before decoding) and the actual input power.
I want to add power at a level compared to the current noise level (i.e decreasing the SNR with a factor of 3 dB) using the noise estimation performed by the srsUE functions.

An example: There is estimated a noise power of 12 dBm on a channel (and a 27 dBm RSRP, so a good channel).
I want to add noise to decrease the SNR with 3 dB, i.e. I (on a linear scale) must double the noise. If I generate samples with N(tau) = sqrt(0.5*P_N) * (N_I + iN_Q), where P_N is 0.15 (12 dBm in linear scale) and N_I/N_Q are Gassian random numbers, I then should have generated an array with noise power equal to what is on the incoming signal.
However, this array of noise samples will have "digital power" of 0.15, which is very large compared to the "digital power" of the samples given (which are about 0.0003). So adding the generated noise to the signal wil ruin the SNR.

How can I relate the estimated powers to the "digital power"? What kind of scaling is being used? I have tried to figure it our from the noise estimation functions themself, however to no avail.

Hope for some guidance, thanks in advance!

Yours sincerely,
Mathias Rønholt Kielgast
Master's Student, Wireless Communication Systems
Aalborg University