[srslte-users] Trying to pickup broadcast messages [2]

Paul Sutton paul at softwareradiosystems.com
Fri Feb 19 15:34:20 UTC 2016

Hi Anthony,

Another approach which might be useful would be to use srsUE -
www.github.com/srslte/srsue - our full UE application which builds on
top of srsLTE. srsUE supports MAC layer packet captures directly - these
can be opened with wireshark.

The RRC layer manages the UE behaviour and instructs the MAC to look for
specific RNTIs. If you take a look at ue/src/upper/rrc.cc, you can see
where it receives MIB from lower layers (write_pdu_bcch_bch - line 167)
and SIB messages (write_pdu_bcch_dlsch - line 183). At the end of
write_pdu_bcch_dlsch, you'll see that send_con_request is called to
start the attachment procedure. Instead you could call
rrc_connection_release (line 612) to instruct the MAC to start looking
for paging messages. These will then be captured at the MAC layer in the
pcap file.

I haven't tried this myself but let me know if you run into any problems.

Regards,
Paul

On 19/02/16 14:44, Ronning, Anthony wrote:

> Ismael,
>

> Thank you SO much! The srslte_vec_fprint_byte() function was the
> missing key for me. I'm going to try to combine it with lameditor
> (http://sdr-x.github.io/LTE-SIB-decoding-by-asn1c/) to streamline the
> process a bit more.
>

> But thank you again! Really enjoying working with srsLTE.
>

> Anthony

Paul Sutton Ph.D.

Software Radio Systems (SRS)
http://www.softwareradiosystems.com

+353-87-9813473 | paul at softwareradiosystems.com

PGP Key ID: 3B4A5292
Fingerprint: B0AC 19C9 B228 A6EB 86E1 82B2 90C7 EC95 3B4A 5292